Since the first CSD was born in the US in 1884, after 100-year development, the CSD has become the largest ship type in the dredger kingdom. At present, the CSDs are widely used in dredging constructions and land reclamation projects in ports and channels. With the rapid development of the global economy and technology, favorable conditions have also been created for the development of dredgers. New techniques, equipment, and types are constantly coming out, which are mainly reflected in the following aspects:
1. Upsizing: The CSDs have become larger and larger.
2. Multi-functionalization: It is one of the goals pursued by the dredging industry. Some dredgers always are idled because they’re unable to implement some constructions. Therefore, improving the utilization rate of dredgers has become a reasonable pursuit. One of the important ways is to make it have some additional functions through less investment, to bring additional economic benefits, such as regular cutter teeth and interconversion between the environmental cutter and cutter wheel.
3. Highly intelligent: It refers to the instrument information and high degree of automation. Since the process of collecting soil in the dredging operation all takes place underwater, we can use modern technologies to make this invisible procedure transparent to operators in time, which will hugely simplify the running program and improve efficiency and economy.
4. Serializationand standardization: The development of the equipment and types of the dredgers are towards serialization and standardization.
5. Environment protection: Nowadays, the environmental protection requirements of dredging equipment are getting higher and higher